Monday, June 16, 2014

Texas Cookin' - Pineapple Pie

"Oh my, momma ain't that Texas Cookin' somethinOh my, momma it'll stop yo' belly and backbone bumpin'" -Guy Clark
I'm betting you've never had pineapple pie and are probably thinking it doesn't even sound good! I thought the same exact thing when I first heard of it. But it's our dad's very favorite pie that I make - yes, I'm the pie lady - so what did he get for father's day? Pineapple Pie.

He first had it when he was working down in Dell City, Texas and the wife of one of his friends made it. He asked her for the recipe but she is not the type to just give a recipe away, but after begging and begging, she caved. She probably never imagined it would wind up on the Internet, so let's just not tell her, Ok? Ok!


After making it the first time, I understood why it was so good. It's kind of like a coconut cream pie, but with pineapple instead. The original recipe calls for canned pineapple, but I have been wondering what it would be like with fresh. I mean it HAS to be better right? I decided to have a little experiment this time and make one of both.

The verdict?

Fresh. Not surprised at all. The canned it still good, but the fresh pineapple just adds a whole new level of flavor to it. I didn't even think to take a picture of the finished product until after it was already partially devoured. And it's a dang good thing I even got one then, because it didn't last long!

Pineapple Pie:

-1 stick of butter, melted
-2 Tablespoons flour
-1 Cup sugar
-1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla (regular extract works too)
-3 eggs
-1 flat can (15 oz) crushed pineapple OR 1 1/2 Cups fresh pineapple

Beat eggs. Add in flour, sugar, vanilla and butter and beat until smooth. Add pineapple.* Mix until smooth.
Pour into unbaked pie crust (store-bought is fine, but homemade is better). Bake at 250ºF for 40 minutes, then adjust heat to 350º until the tops are brown.

*If using fresh pineapple, add pineapple chunks to clean mixer (before everything else), blender or food processor and run machine until the pineapple is crushed. Strain out the juice. Add pineapple to egg mixture. Pour some vodka or rum in the left

over pineapple juice and go sit on the porch and drink it while the pie is in the oven. This step is very important.
Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment